The klinker-built faering (four oars) has been used for transportation for centuries along the Norwegian coast line and in the fjords. In the areas close to the Sognefjord the features of the faering is particularly well preserved compared to the vessels of the Vikings. As building material pine was applied whereas the keel was made of oak and the stems by birch. A replica of such a faering originally built in approximately 1880 by Ellend Geithus was finished in August 2012. He was known for making faerings that performed excellent with one or two persons rowing it. The replica was built by Bjørn Ådne Kvalvik at Fedje, a small island located at the origin of the Sognefjord (

From the Community